Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Kale-Eggplantalicious Quinoa Loaf


Several weeks ago, I bought an eggplant for a dollar. When I got back from Tuscon last week, it was wilted and looking very sad. I knew I needed to act quick! I had also just bought some kale from People's Coop, so with full confidence in the power of Google (although i am most looking forward to Wolfram Alpha, from the makers of Mathematica), i typed in "eggplant kale recipe" and voila! was led to Post Punk Kitchen, a pretty good vegan recipes site. As I have previously disclosed, I like quinoa quite a bit, so this recipe looked perfect. I followed it strictly, but one important note:
the quinoa - i wish i read critically, because then i would have realized that the ratio for quinoa:water is 2, not 3, as the recipe cites. Because I did what i was told, though, the quinoa overcooked and this had a grave effect on the overall outcome: the "loaf" was not very loafy, the texture was funky.
The cinnamon was very tasty, but for my taste it could have used a bit more cayenne. Apple slices on top might be a tasty addition!

No comments:

Post a Comment