Sunday, December 20, 2009

Preparing for Departure


שלום ישראל
I will miss you.
If you were cleaner, I would kiss you.
Your university was bland, so I took to the land
Layered coats of בוץ
And herded goats.
Met a boy which sounds cliche
But it wasn't at all because I read him Nietzche.
He's gone now, anyhow
and I am left with your fine sand in my hand.
The days are growing colder
as I am growing older
So glad my twentieth year
is not spent as a soldier.
On the bus they look at me
and I think how they travel for free.
My jealousy, though, never got my too down
I simply started tremping around.
They say that you are a dangerous place
so all those uniforms aren't a waste.
What's scariest to me
is that I ain't scared one bit -
Nothing can bring me to the end of my wit.
Those bomb bursts at night
and planes in midday
Never once got in my way.
Now listen hear, folks
for what shocked me most, I read in the post:
The exodus from Egypt
was all a hoax.
Still, I'm a Jew
so I learned some Hebrew
למשל, ממש כזה כאילו
I'm thinking of writing my thesis on you.
Oh Israel your varieties of religions never abate
they bind communities and they create hate
my goodness just look at the West Bank Gate.
For this reason and more my Judaism did not flourish
I told my mother this and it gave her much surrus.
But even though I chose not
to wear a head cover,
she should rest assured I did not
become a Jesus Lover.

1 comment:

  1. Points will be distributed as follows:

    10 pts for having the balls to rhyme cliche with Nietzsche.

    5 pts for using a word that I do not know: "surrus"

    15 pts for using a word I cannot find any record of anywhere on the internet: "surrus."

    Total points: 30 pts
    Rank: Ezra Pound

    ReplyDelete