Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Back in Stumptown

Hihihello! I am back at it in Portland, and it is not too cold! In fact, it was a beautiful sunny day yesterday and also today. I am only taking 3 classes as it turns out, which I wasn't expecting, but this just means more time for gardening and creating. I ran into the last two people who are moving into my house next week on campus today - Matt & Molly. They were there stealing internet. We sat outside and ate our lunches together and they shared their homemade candied oranges with me. I have very good feelings about the next chapter of life.

Mung Bean Cutlets
Last night, my housemate Robby and I made mung bean cutlets and ate 'em like hamburgers.
Did you know? Mung beans are easier to digest than most other beans. They also have one of the highest protein content of any bean!
Note: This recipe is in no way precise. We winged it. For the spices, we just kept adding them and taking taste tests until it tasted to our pleasure.
1. Reconstitute dried beans (find them in the bulk food isle) by soaking them in water overnight. 2. Cook 'em. (1 C beans: 2 1/2 C water; yields 2 C cooked beans - decide on amt to cook accordingly)
3. When cooled fully, finely dice a purple onion and ample garlic. Saute in olive oil until onion is translucent.
4. Add onion&garlic to mung bean pot + ample thyme, oregano, rosemary, s&p, red pepper flakes, and cumin
5. Mix thoroughly and make batter into patties.
6. Fry in olive-oil equipped pan on stove (like latkas!)
7. Enjoy on pleasantly toasted bun w/ fresh onion/tomato/ketchup/mustard!!
Robby does the Mung Bean Juggle in the Downstairs Mini-Kitch
Grass and rainbows and a glowing glowing sun!
Arial shot. Mine was pretty messy. To my awe, Robby managed to maintain his composure.
After dinner origami! This loooooong (the photo is deceptive) piece of butcher paper will soon be a Coo-Coo Clock

No comments:

Post a Comment