Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Last Days in Stumptown

Rachel and I went to Crater Lake this weekend. We backpacked in a mere 2.5 miles to camp for two nights, hiking out the middle day to make investigations around the lake (and even dipping briefly in!). At every point around the lake there was a perfect view of the entire expanse. We drove back up along Hwy 97, through the desert, and I felt like I got to know my new state a lot better. I was struck by the fear such dry expanse instilled in me. I was on the lookout for a fruit stand to get a good apple, but after many miles I had to come to terms with the fact that there was no water and no fruit trees growing in these here parts. Though stunning in their own right - especially Smith Rock - I was relieved to hit forest again. Yet, there is a heat wave in Portland this week and it is 104 degrees today, so water is not entirely back into my reality. Portlanders don't quite know how to deal, and we are being sent home early all this week from work and instructed to STAY HYDRATED. Which I am really trying to do, sitting inside of The Fresh Pot, adjacent to Powell's Books on Hawthorne, sipping a tasty thyme and rosemary infused black iced tea. That fear really jolted me in looking towards the upcoming months in Jerusalem. How am I going to react living in the desert? And for that matter, in a city? A big school? So many unknowns. I will report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment